Sunday, March 20, 2011

Counting Down...

March 15
I'm starting tomorrow! My mind is racing. I can't help but think of everything that could possibly go wrong. I'm to the point now of questioning myself why I am even doing this, but I know it's just nerves. I don't think I'll be getting much sleep tonight...not good quality sleep anyway.
Tomorrow marks the beginning of...something. I'll let you know what in a few months!

March 14
I've decided to wait until Wednesday to start. My parents are staying the extra night in Georgia (they were going to start driving home on Tuesday), so they are still planning to meet me at the top of Springer Mountain, the official start of the AT. We're staying at the lodge at Amicalola Falls State Park tonight. They are already booked for tomorrow night so we are planning to find somewhere to stay in nearby Dawsonville.
It's kind of funny; I have to keep reminding myself that tomorrow is my birthday. I have been so preoccupied with starting the trail on the 15th that the date has seemed to only have that significance. I'm giving the 16th some purpose now!
We stopped at the Visitor Center today on our way in the park. There is a sign-in for thru hikers at the front desk and a scale outside to weigh your pack. The approach trail begins behind the center, and I admit that I teared up when I saw it. I'm waiting until Wednesday to walk through the arch where the approach begins--no cheating, right?

March 13
Two days!..maybe. There's a 90% chance of rain on Tuesday. Yes, I know I am going to have to hike in the rain, but why should I purposefully start on a day of rain? I'm not absolutely set on the 15th, I just thought it was a good day to start since it's my birthday (birthday cake on Springer sounds kind of nice doesn't it?...rainy birthday cake, not so much). I am considering waiting until Wednesday but I know that it will inconvenience my parents; they may have to miss out on meeting me at the top. Either way, the forecast for the rest of the week looks nice so I'm definitely grateful for that.
Excited to be in Georgia tomorrow! New state #1!

March 12
It's my last night at home. I saved everything for the last minute so I've been stressed out trying to gather everything and hoping I don't forget anything. I think it will be awhile before I get a good night's sleep again.
Everything feels really strange. I know I am leaving but in my mind I cannot fathom being away from everything for months and months. I don't know how I will be able to handle it, and that's what's stressful.
Basically I am laying in my bed right now and thinking, "Holy cow I'm really doing this."
Holy cow. I'm really doing this.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment