Sunday, March 6, 2011

Running Out of Days

I'm leaving home in a week.

A week?!

The passing weeks have grown to months and time has been flying by. I expected that everything would require attention at the last minute, and that is exactly what is happening. I'm trying to enjoy these final days but the excitement that is growing inside of me makes me wish that this week will pass quickly. I am overwhelmed with things I need to do, but really, what do I need but to grab my pack and head south?

My last day of work was Friday. It feels strange to think that I won't be walking into the office on Monday morning, but at the same time the progression feels natural, feels right. I am very thankful for the way things are working out and it reinforces my conviction that now is the right time for me to do this.

I anticipate that the mental aspect of hiking 2000 miles will be more difficult than the physical; physical struggles are, in part, mental challenges. I have been imagining myself in arduous situations and in my mind working through my potential responses. I am (half-subconsciously?) attempting to create a self-fulfilling prophecy. This is the only type of mental preparation that I can think to do, and it does hold promise of being beneficial. Each option I consider concludes in finding a way to smile, to laugh. I want always to seek, and ultimately to find, a reason to smile.

This coming week will be spent thinking, fine-tuning my gear, enjoying the comforts of home, and preparing to leave familiarity behind.

I can't believe it's almost time.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

3 comments:

  1. starting april 4th myself, getting itchy! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the journey ahead! Keep smiling and keep on hiking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go girl! Keep your goals in sight, your heart free and "Hike Your Own Hike"! Keeps us all updated and be safe. I hope to start my hiking adventure this time next year so beat a good path down for the rest of us! :-)

    ReplyDelete