Friday, April 29, 2011

April 21

The rain was gone by this morning and I woke mostly dry...a bit of condensation but it wasn't too bad. I set out on the trail alone around 8 for an easy stroll to Iron Mountain Gap where Mango, a former thru-hiker, was giving trail magic! He had sodas and snacks in the back of his car and even had chairs (with backs!) for us to sit in. Pappy, Fiber, and Veto were just leaving as I arrived and Jen and James and Dreamwalker arrived shortly after me. We sat there feasting on crackers, cookies, and other junk and then I left to continue on to Clyde Smith Shelter for a lunch break. My feet were really bothering me today so it felt wonderful to take my boots off and air them out during the break. Pappy and I left the shelter to head downhill for a few miles and then begin the climb up Roan Mountain. We had planned to stop and camp at Hughes Gap but decided to push on to Roan High Knob Shelter. On the way up Roan, we met a couple picking wild ramps. I tried one since I have never eaten a ramp before...very onion-y and garlic-y (but good!) and the flavor lingered in my mouth for probably two hours afterward. Pappy and I continued the steep, rocky climb and took a break at Ash Gap, a little over halfway up. He stayed a bit longer than I so I hiked the rest of the way alone...again, steep and rocky, but I finally made it to the shelter in one piece. This shelter is the highest on the AT at 6285 (I think) feet. There are two levels and I am up top with Veto, Fiber, REM, Mousebait, Hard Back, Step n a Half, and Jeannette. It's been sprinkling some and the weather report is calling for rain tomorrow morning as well. Muffin Man pulled a huge day today and hiked 24-ish miles to Overmountain Shelter. Shepherd didn't make it here tonight and we heard he is camping at Ash Gap 1.4 miles back. Hopefully the group will all be together again tomorrow night!
Today was a tough day for me...as I said earlier, my feet have been hurting and the uphill at the end of the day is always tough. Still, I'm heading north with a smile on my face and and peace in my heart!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

2 comments:

  1. HI Lindsey. I am friends with Mike and Loni and not long ago Mike was taking me for an appointment and told me about your journey on the trail. He thought I might enjoy following your journey. Boy was he right. I am hooked. I do have a question - what is "trail magic". I am not a hiker but I sure have loved traveling with you in my imagination. May GOD keep watch over you. Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  2. A smile on your face and peace in your heart! Awesome!

    -Flint

    ReplyDelete