Tuesday, April 12, 2011

April 7

I think I have eaten enough calories in the last 13 hours to last for a week. I didn't get to sleep until early this morning but woke up around 7 as usual. I ate my morning pop tarts as well as an apple I had bought yesterday at Walmart. Then Pappy informed me of Krispy Kreme donuts down in the lobby so I had to get one of those. About an hour later Pappy, Shepherd, and Muffin Man decided to go to breakfast at Bennett's Barbecue so I tagged along and got the AYCE buffet...a biscuit and gravy, 2 sausage patties, 2 pancakes, 2 pieces of french toast, grapes, apple slices, scrambled eggs, and hash browns. All delicious. Then when we got back to the motel, Muffin Man had some food he wanted to get rid of so I finished off his bag of mini donuts and can of Pringles, plus I finished a bag of Reeses cup minis (amazing) I bought yesterday. This was all before 11 this morning!
AJ's aunt picked us all up in the van and gave us a ride back to Newfound Gap where we got back on the trail for 3 easy miles to Icewater Spring Shelter. The weather was warm and sunny and the hiking was perfect. There were lots of tourists and day hikers at the gap and many asked us questions like, "When did you start?" "How far are you going?" and "What do you eat?" Every time I see hikers I wonder where they have been and where they will go so it's neat to be on the other side of that.
We made quick time and were at the shelter by 2. We lounged around in the sun for awhile and played Euchre and Greed. Many others have shown up since then so the shelter is full and people are tenting outside. Because we have taken two neros, there are many unfamiliar faces on the trail. It's a bit strange. Since arriving in camp I've eaten a Clif bar, some gorp, and some spoonfuls of peanut butter as a snack and broccoli alfredo pasta with pepperoni and pepper jack cheese for dinner. Dessert was a few more spoons of peanut butter, a few handfuls of gorp, and a king size Payday. The real kicker is that I don't even feel full; it's about 9 and I think I could eat another entire meal. Everything I read before the trail talked about appetite issues and I am starting to experience that firsthand. Food is such an obsession out here! It took about 3 weeks for my body to start wanting more food but it's definitely gotten to that point. The only downside is that I have to carry it all!!
Tomorrow will be a 12.6 mile day but I'm looking forward to it. There is a chance of rain but my body has been feeling good; my knee has caused me no problems and my foot has not been much of a bother either. Very, very thankful.
Oh, and I have a trail name! Yesterday while hiking in the ice and snow I slipped going uphill and nearly faceplanted but caught myself with my face and torso parallel to and about 6 inches off of the ground. Apparently one leg was in the air as well. Phil was behind me and saw the entire ordeal; he said it reminded him of Mission Impossible. That was the first suggestion for my name but I haven't seen the movie and didn't understand the reference...later Phil suggested Hover instead. So now, I am Hover!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

3 comments:

  1. You have found your trail legs and now you have found your trail appetite. You have completed my backyard, the Smokies! Thanks for bringing us along on your journey. Look forward to the next posting.

    JG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you've been out there awhile, how do you feel about your gear? Anything you'd change?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you get home, rent the old Mission Impossible series, not the movie. :) I am really enjoying reading your blog.

    -Flint

    ReplyDelete