Saturday, April 2, 2011

March 23

TOWN! I made it to Hiawassee, Georgia, my first trail town! I woke up at 4:30 and the group I have been camping with left camp at 6:00; there is a free shuttle that picks hikers up and takes them to the Hiawassee Budget Inn. There were a lot of people at the shelter last night so we wanted to be first in line for the shuttle. The moon was bright and for the most part we didn't even need our headlamps. It was so neat walking through the woods in early morning; everything was still except our movement on the path. The stars were still out and we walked into the daylight. We only had about 4 miles to cover and we made great time and were at the road by 7:30. The shuttle came around 9 and we piled in to go to town. It's only been a week but it was so strange to be in a vehicle again...so fast! We got breakfast (delicious, delicious real food) and checked into our rooms. Showers and laundry took up most of the afternoon (it's funny because everyone wears their rain gear while doing laundry), and we went to an all-you-can-eat buffet for dinner and then did our resupply shopping.
The whole time I was thinking, "Wow, I'm hiking the Appalachian Trail and I'm in some strange town in Georgia right now with a bunch of random people. And it's really neat." And it is.
And, it's been raining tonight so I'm thankful for the roof over my head! Looks like we'll get wet this weekend though.
Oh, and my boot broke this morning. One of the eyelets busted out of my left shoe so the lacing is a bit loose but seems to be okay. Not sure how long they will last.
Town has been wonderful but I'm excited to get moving along the trail again. Bring on North Carolina!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

2 comments:

  1. Thinking of you often, and what you have already achieved!

    "Anything that we consider to be an accomplishment takes effort to achieve. If it were easy, it would not be nearly as gratifying. What is hardship at the moment will add to our sense of achievement at the end." David Miller, Awol on the Appalachian Trail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Miller! I'm reading your book right now and decided to check on Lindseys updates...boo hoo :( I want to be out there so bad I can't stand it! I'm still researching gear and nursing a strained ankle but I hope to make it next year. Lindseys a champ and she's gunah do great! Keep on truch'n girl! BA

    ReplyDelete