Sunday, May 15, 2011

May 10

You know the wall-less privy I described yesterday? Totally used it this morning! A great view of the woods, and strangely exhilarating! Haha!
The trail today was much easier than yesterday, but more difficult mentally. I prepare myself more for "hard" days and thus they seem not so difficult; today was 14 miles of easier terrain, so thinking it would be "easy", I was in for a surprise. It wasn't difficult, but my feet and knees were achy and I forgot to take my vitamin I this morning...
The miles passed quickly though and were sunny and beautiful. I met up with Veto, Fiber, and Pappy, and we crossed over I-77! I didn't realize today was the day until I looked over the profile this morning...probably the closest I'll be to home while on the trail..? A weird feeling...I'm certainly not ready to go home yet!!
We stopped for lunch and finished the day with a climb to Helveys Mill Shelter. We got here mid-afternoon so it's been nice relaxing for awhile, although the trek for water here is .3 miles downhill! It's raining now and I'm in my tent praying it will keep me dry tonight. I'm seriously contemplating replacing it...I love everything about it except that it doesn't keep me dry! The condensation is a huge problem. Something to think about...
So tomorrow I am going to be meeting up with Freight Train, who thru-hiked the AT last year. He answered my hundreds of questions about the trail before I started and has given me tons of advice. He's going to Damascus for Trail Days and is going to be on the trail for a few days beforehand. Looking forward to it!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

1 comment:

  1. You USED the potty on a slab?? Hahaha I guess users don't have to worry about turning on a fan. :)

    ReplyDelete