Friday, May 20, 2011

May 20

Another awesome zero day! I woke early as usual...along with everyone else because there was a rooster crowing outside! We all lounged around for awhile and convinced Bear Bag, Bagdrop, REM, and Hooper to zero here today as well. Despite the enormous amount of food I ate last night, my stomach was growling when I woke so I ate a pack of pop tarts...and then everyone decided to head over to the gas station for some breakfast, so I went and ate a sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit. The walk was only .6 miles but my feet HURT, particularly my left. They need the rest! I bought a pint of ice cream at the gas station as well and ended up downing it almost as soon as I got back to the hostel...couldn't resist the chocolate fudge brownie!
I did all my chores...set out the tent and boots to dry, hand washed some laundry, "cleaned" out my backpack...and spent the morning relaxing. Then Bear Bag and Fiber decided to go fishing in the pond here so Hooper and I joined them. Fiber was the first to catch anything, a small bluegill, and I caught one next--even tinier! Hooper caught one just as Pappy and his wife showed up to give me a ride to the post office...where I got my new, correct, backpack! It's so clean and pretty, but I'm sure will be dirty and smelly in just a few days!
We got back to the hostel and Linda fed us chips and meatball subs. The guys were still fishing so I sat down by the lake for awhile watching them in the boat (quite entertaining, I must say) and did lots more relaxing! Joe, the owner, offered us deer meet for dinner if we cooked it, so Veto, Hooper, and REM made a small fire in the grill outside and we made deer burgers. Awesome! This has been one of my favorite zeros this far and I'm sooo glad we decided to stay here. I'm on a couch again tonight, I have a new backpack, my gear is dry, the weather forecast looks decent, and tomorrow is McAfee Knob...so many reasons to smile!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

2 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work. I'm glad you're feeling better after all that rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaaay!!! A NEW PACK!!! I'm so excited for you. Hopefully it will help your back feel better. I'm so glad you got meet Linda. She's a wonderful lady. Actually she's my Momma's BFF :)
    Enjoy the dry conditions for as long as they last... I suppose the rain we received will keep the springs alive longer. In PA many of them dry up mid July.
    Our family hopes to meet up with ya'll in PA. If we miss ya'll on one of our planned hikes thru PA (we go SOBO), then we will plan to meet up at an intersection somewhere for some trail magic. Keep us posted. :)

    ReplyDelete