Friday, May 27, 2011

May 23

I had my alarm set for 5 this morning but woke a bit before. Pappy, Bagdrop, and I hit the continental breakfast at 6 for biscuits and gravy, eggs, cereal, bagels, waffles, doughnuts, muffins, and juice. We were on the trail at 6:30 for what we assumed would be an 18.6-mile day. There were lots of things to see today: 3 turtles, a deer, a frog, a salamander, and a toad. It was a hot day and my left foot was hurting, but we made good time. We crossed the 1/3 mark today (727 miles)!!
We cruised into Bobblets Gap Shelter before 3 to find Fiber and Veto, who said they were going to move on! The 3 of us debated staying but decided to push 6.5 more miles to Cove Mountain Shelter...a long and hot 6.5! There is no water here so I had to carry 3 liters up from the last water source 3.4 miles back. Captain Planet and Phoenix Rising (former thru hiker out for a section) are here as well. Phoenix is a yoga instructor and has been showing us some good stretches for hikers...I've lost so much of my flexibility out here! Guess I should stretch more. I also accidentally drank untreated water...I packed water up but didn't treat it and drank some in my exhausted stupor while cooking dinner before I realized what I was doing. Oops!
So, it's been a long day, 25.1 miles total, over 11.5 hours. Hoping the foot gets better!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment