Wednesday, June 1, 2011

June 1

Appalachian Trail Lesson #27: the NeoAir is way more comfortable than a fold-out cot.
I didn't get to sleep until almost midnight and woke around 6 and had to use the bathroom. Every time I moved, my cot would squeak and make a lot of noise so I probably woke up half of the hikers just getting out of bed. I laid back down since no one else was awake and actually fell back asleep until about 7:15 when one of the hostel workers woke everyone up. Breakfast was two bowls of cereal: Honey Nut Cheerios and Apple Jacks...I miss cereal in the mornings! We had to be out of the hostel by 9 so we packed everything up and basically decided to zero since the weather was supposed to be hot, and the hostel is offering a free dinner tonight! So we stashed our packs in a closet and walked a block to the public library. I used the internet for awhile and read a few magazines...got my Readers Digest fix! (Yes, I love Readers Digest) We killed a few hours there and decided to hit up Ming Garden Buffet again for lunch. Walking out of the AC was rough...glad we took the day off today! The high was 95 and very humid. The buffet was again delicious (and cheaper for lunch!). Next was another stop at Kroger since Tomahawk forgot to buy tortillas yesterday. With nothing else to do, we took the city bus to Walmart and bummed around there for awhile. I bought some bug spray and some cheap gel insoles to try in my shoes...we'll see how they work! We caught the bus back at 2:30 and had to ride the entire route for 50 minutes. No air conditioning on the bus so it was a pretty sticky ride and a hot walk back to the library from the bus stop. We hung out in the library for another few hours; I looked at an atlas and a few magazines and nearly fell asleep; these zero days wear me out! We headed to the hostel at 5 and claimed our spots. They served us dinner at 6:30...spaghetti, salad, bread, and ice cream for dessert. So awesome! We had some good laughs when Tomahawk and Fiber showed us pictures from when they were younger. Couldn't recognize Fiber but Tomahawk looks almost exactly the same! Pretty funny. Almost everyone who was here last night took a zero and is here again, plus a few more people have shown up. I forewent the cot tonight in hopes of getting better sleep. Tomorrow we enter the Shenandoah National Park and are planning for a 20 mile day. Hope we can get a quick hitch out of town!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

2 comments:

  1. Keep truck'n Lindsey! Can we please have an update on how your gear is doing? I'd like to start next year and would enjoy seeing how everything is holding up, shoes you like, trail cooking 101,...all the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete