Saturday, June 11, 2011

June 5

The 15 mile day was so relaxed! I slept in until a little after 7 and left camp with Veto for 4 miles to Skyland Resort where we got the breakfast buffet. Potatoes, eggs, biscuits, gravy, bacon, sausage, and french toast with blackberry syrup. Amazing! Fiber and I stopped for a break at a picnic area and a lady gave us some trail magic! She said she'd just read a book about the trail and asked if we wanted some fresh fruit. Yes we did! She gave us each a little container that she had bought this morning. We devoured it and got back on the trail. All morning I had been tightening my waistbelt but felt like my pack was sagging some...and then coming downhill I heard the unmistakable sound of a rip...again?! I could feel the load sliding downward and knew the framesheet was ripping out of this pack as it did with the first...and it hasn't even been 300 miles yet! Very disappointing and frustrating. So I carried the weight on my shoulders for the remaining 4.4 miles. I intended to sew it up myself but I showed Peru the damage in camp and she offered her skills...thank you Peru! She's been talking the last few days about how she misses her Flash pack and would prefer one over the Osprey she was carrying. "I would love to sell you my pack..." she said. So, I tried her pack on and it felt amazing. My first Flash seemed to fit me much better than this second one and the Osprey felt very natural. The only problem was that is was 50 liters versus my 65. I played around with it and got all of my junk to fit...a tight squeeze even with my tent strapped to the outside but I think it'll work. So, we worked out a deal: I'm keeping her pack, she sewed mine and is carrying it to Harper's Ferry, and I'm going to call REI and order a Flash 50 for her; she'll mail the broken one back and I'll get the refund. So hopefully all will work out and we'll both get the packs we want! I am now carrying an Osprey Atmos 50 and will not get a Flash pack again! Very disappointing that neither held up to the abuse of the trail. So, the short day turned out to be pretty eventful but I'm up late again and tomorrow is another big day: 23.6! Time for bed!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment