Wednesday, July 20, 2011

July 19

Thankfully the bugs weren't a bother last night but I had forgotten how poorly I sleep in shelters and woke several times during the night. The morning was sunny though and the first thing Tractor said was, "It's going to be a great day." I felt it too.
The first climb of the day was up Bear Mountain, the highest point in CT, a relatively easy one. The descent down the northern side however was steep and boulder-y and required lots of hands and slow, cautious steps. The rocks were still wet from the rain yesterday which added to the difficulty and at one point my feet slipped right out from under me and I fell backward...8 falls now I think? The trail below the mountain was gorgeous...pine forests and a rocky stream running right through the middle. We crossed the stream into Massachusetts!! Hard to believe I'm here already. We also passed the 1500 mile mark! Two huge milestones in one morning! A great day indeed.
The next climb, up to Mt Race, was gradual and we walked along the open ridgeline with great views for about a half mile. We still had Mt Everett to conquer, which wasn't as difficult as it looked on the guidebook profile but was still rocky and steep. We stopped for lunch at a picnic area at the bottom and a thru hiker from last year, Divo, was there with root beers for us! He was checking out the area for some trail magic this weekend...too bad we're going to miss it!
We planned for about 6 more miles but were stopped at a shelter getting water and Veto came up behind us! We've been doing low miles so they've caught back up to us. Fiber, Muffin Man, and Pappy trickled in behind him so we all took a break and visited for awhile...so good to see the crew again! They were only planning for about 3 more miles so Bear Bag and I decided to join them...so sad to think it could be our last night together! We did the downhill miles and came to a road where there was a spring listed in the guidebook. After some hunting we found the spring and set up camp right beside it. I had a typical Knorr side for dinner and have only breakfast left...I'll walk into town tomorrow with no food! First time for that and I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing. Another short day but I felt strong again and it was wonderful. Still looking forward to some rest though but it looks like tomorrow morning will be the final goodbyes...
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

1 comment:

  1. Keep truckin, young lady. It only gets better from here.

    -One Life

    ReplyDelete