Sunday, July 3, 2011

July 3

When is the last time I slept in until 8:30? Everyone was awake by 9:30 and Bear Bag cooked breakfast: pancakes, eggs, and bacon. It was raining this morning so we decided to take another day off...first triple zero! We feasted, relaxed, watched a movie, and I even took a nap!..very out of character for me. Basically we sat around all day and ate...I had four bowls of cereal for lunch! Cereal is one thing I miss on the trail; pop tarts for breakfast just don't quite do the trick. We watched a couple Seinfeld episodes and I started packing my pack up for tomorrow. I intended to wash my pot, spoon, and water bottles while I was here but I never got around to it. As gross as it sounds, I can't remember the last time I washed them...maybe Pearisburg, almost 700 miles ago? Haha! I tell myself that I've gone this long without washing them so what's another week, right? Standards are so low out here...
It's scary to think I'm in New Jersey already...where has the time gone? It seems like since Virginia the states have been flying by and instead of counting up the miles we've done we're counting down the miles we have left. It's a sad thing for me; inevitably the journey will end so I want to enjoy the time I have while it's still here. I'm leaving the trail in three weeks for my sister's wedding and I'm bummed about getting separated from the group I've hiked with for almost 1300 miles. Hopefully I will be able to catch them when I come back, although at this point that seems pretty daunting.
My body feels good from all the rest I've gotten; my left ("club") foot hasn't bothered me at all today but still looks a bit puffy. Whatever was wrong with it is obviously healing but I think I'm going to have a permanent bump on the top at the base of my toes. The top of my right foot has been bothering me again...or maybe I'm only noticing it since my left feels better. Some of the mobility has returned to my feet; on the trail I can sometimes barely bend my toes and my ankles are stiff, but everything feels much better today and is much more flexible.
The rest has been wonderful but I've done so much sitting for the past two days that I'm anxious to get back on the trail tomorrow. We're planning for a short day so we can take our time getting back into the swing of things!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

1 comment:

  1. After the wedding, I hope you can find a way to continue hiking with the friends you've made on the trail. Maybe they can take a couple zeros and wait for you:) I hope your feet feel better. Stay safe and amazed.

    ReplyDelete