Saturday, August 13, 2011

August 11

Another chilly night but a beautiful cool, breezy, clear morning in the woods. Bear Bag and I left camp at 7:30 for the big day into town. Stratton Mountain was a 2000 foot climb but spread over about 4 miles so it wasn't difficult and we averaged 2.5 mph on the way up...not too bad! It was surprisingly cold as we neared the top and very windy and cold on the summit...wind chill probably around 40 degrees. I don't have my cold weather gear back yet so all I had was my rain jacket to put on...not very warm! We climbed the fire tower for an incredible mountainous view...something we haven't seen for nearly 1200 miles or so. It was beautiful. We then headed down the north side with runny noses and numb hands. The lower elevation meant higher temperatures and it turned out to be a perfect day...passing sun and clouds and temperatures in the low 70s. We leapfrogged with Teapot and Shadow and Country Mouse all day...the terrain was great after the mountain and everyone was making good time...we held steady at 3 mph. I felt great today, better than I have for awhile, and it was wonderful. I feel like I've found my groove again. I feel strong.
We got to the road and waited 10 minutes for a hitch. A lady with 3 kids pulled over in her minivan to give us a ride. She took us to McDonald's where we took advantage of the dollar menu and then headed to Sutton's Place, a b&b without the b, where we had a reservation for the night. It's a cute little place in town and Shadow and Country Mouse are staying here as well. We had second dinner at a pizza place and now it's time for bed! Looking forward to a lazy day tomorrow of resupplying and doing laundry.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

5 comments:

  1. Love the pictures, especially Hover on the bench---a regular Clem Kadiddlehopper. (way before your time)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bench nap picture was great. It sounds like you two should have gotten your winter gear shipped to you this week instead of next week. Tell Bear Bag I shipped it Wednesday to Hanover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bench photo and yes I’m old enough to know who Clem Kadiddlehopper was. :-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to hear you have your strength back!!!

    ReplyDelete