Sunday, August 21, 2011

August 20

The sky cleared overnight and we woke to a beautiful sunny morning. The trail was still nice and gooey and we trudged through 3.8 miles to a side trail that led to the Inn at Long Trail. (The Long Trail split from the AT about a mile before) We took Sherburne Pass for a half mile down to the inn for lunch...a rough trail that I'm not looking forward to climbing back up! We got to the inn, dropped our packs on the lawn, took our muddy shoes off, and headed to the pub for a lunch of burgers and chips and a brownie sundae for dessert. Full of food, we relaxed inside for a bit, then out in the sun, and then we got sucked into staying...how does that keep happening? Haha, the inn has a hiker discount that includes breakfast so we took the offer. We needed more food since we have been doing smaller days so we caught The Bus into Rutland and visited the Walmart. I also bought a book to read...lately I've been craving something to get my mind off of the daily grind. We waited around until 5:15 for the bus back, and when we got back to the inn, guess who was there...Shepherd! I haven't seen him since southern Virginia! It was great to catch up.
Showers were next on the list, along with laundry. The pub had live entertainment scheduled for tonight so we headed down for a late dinner and got the last table. The guy sang and told jokes and we had a great time, and left around 11.
It's been another great day although another (very) short day. We've been doing small mileage lately and it worries me a bit about finishing. Not that I think we won't make it in time (Katahdin closes October 15), but I'm concerned what the conditions will be like as we get farther north. In many ways I feel I was stronger in Georgia than I am now...I've been beaten down mentally and physically over the last 5 months, and it's been difficult lately to maintain my fortitude and my optimism. Everyone says you get kind of a second wind in the Vermont area, but I haven't felt it. I know that the mental part is up to me, and this is the first time I haven't been able to control my mentality. It makes me feel weak.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

10 comments:

  1. Hi Lindsey,

    I've been reading your blog since just before you started on the AT. Your preparation camping video came up while I was researching hiking the AT, and I found my way to your blog via the video.

    You have been a great inspiration, and it is wonderful that you've done this on your own. I hope you are proud of yourself and what you've accomplished. I look forward to reading your posts as you make your way to Katahdin.

    You'll get there. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

    Take care and best of luck,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey, hang in there. You ARE going to make it. Its been a journey since Georgia and you are almost in Maine ! Thats Maine. Your almost in Maine. You started in spring and now its fall. You will have traveled through all the seasons and the best is yet to come. Fall, what other time of the year can you touch the colors of the rainbow? They say New England has the best fall colors with all the maple and ash trees. Remember - it's your journey. Your reason for hiking the AT may not be the same now. Remember, I am sure others think the same, I am proud for you. You should be too. No mater what happens, its been great following you.

    Thanks for posting.

    Lonewolf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hay Lindsey,

    I have been following your Blog almost everyday. I keep checking your site to see what you post next. I never was a book reader but I can only imagine what its like to enjoy a good book. I find your blog to be my perfect little book to read. I Love following your journey it's like i am almost their with you. I WISH I WAS!! I came across you researching Hiking the AT. Man I am so glad I did all I have to say is YOU GO GIRL!!! I work a full time job in IT from 7am to 4pm M though F Oh how I wish I could be on the the Trail. Enjoy every step you take and embrace your surroundings.

    P.S have fun and be safe I ll be with you to the end!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsey,

    I've been following you from the beginning too. You have accomplished so much these past five months, you should be so proud of yourself! I may be a little biased, since I live in NH, but I think you're starting the best part of the AT and to be doing it in the fall, as the colors change, even better.

    Good luck! I'll be cheering you on every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsey,
    Sorry if this comes across twice as it seems my first entry got deleted. Anyways, I don't know if this helps you at all but I was in the same exact place you are in right now. I was at the Inn at the Long Trail almost exactly a year ago and I was feeling quite down mentally. At this point in the journey I didn't know if I could push through all of the barriers and Katahdin seemed so far away.

    I got through it by picturing the feeling of what it would be like when I touched the sign on top of the K-meister. I can tell you now, the feeling was 50 times better than I thought it would be. It was well worth it. You will be there in September and you WILL make it, God will see to that. You are a very strong person. Keep the faith. You are not behind and its perfectly OK to go at the pace you're going. Its ok to have low mileage days and to take days off. You need those to stay sane. Anyways, good luck, I'm right there with you.

    One Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just recently found your blog, but you are very inspiring! I know you can make it! Keep it up and when you finish know there are people all over who will be celebrating your great accomplishment. If you ever visit GA again I'd love to meet you! Hugs and wishes for good feet!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindsy and Bear Bag,
    Put some miles in. A hurricane is headed your way and if you think you have seen wind and rain you just wait. Bear Bag can tell you some hurricane stories he has lived through quite a few of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, bad weather is comming. Be safe.

    lonewolf

    ReplyDelete
  9. What the others said. You best plan on hunkering down this weekend. It's gonna be something you're going to want to avoid.

    Jim... aka Woodenarrows

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lindsey, sometime this weekend you will be in a hurricane. Not unless something weird happens New England is going to take a direct hit. Play close attention to the weather. try to ride the storm out in a strong shelter, town, a cave if need be, mid-ground camp that is not close to a river or stream. This storm is very big and will last for several days.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete