Wednesday, August 31, 2011

August 25

We knew it was supposed to rain today so we were up early and out of camp before 7:30. We made quick time of the 6 miles into town. Almost 2.5 of those were road walking...easy but painful for the feet! We got into Hanover and stopped first at the Bagel Basement, which we'd heard gives hikers free bagels. The rumor was true! We each got a toasted bagel and split a free bag of day-old bagels. Next was the post office to get our cold weather gear! We hauled all of our junk over to Six South Street hotel, a very nice place which we'd heard gave a 50% off hiker discount...another great recommendation! We got settled and headed to the outfitter because Bear Bag has been having trekking pole issues...the locking mechanisms have been failing, and one of his tips got sucked off in the mud last week! Unfortunately they couldn't help; the outfitters anymore are very frustrating and don't have what thru-hikers need! Next was a short walk to Ramuntos Pizza where hikers get a free slice...love this town!
I forgot to mention yesterday that my camera got wet. It was in my waist belt pocket, and I set my pack down on my bite valve for my hydration bladder. The pressure opened the valve and all my water leaked out right onto my camera. Not working and not fun but a silly mistake on my part. So, the next task on the list was finding a new camera. We took the free bus to Lebanon and caught a connecting bus which dropped us off somewhere near a Radio Shack. We stopped at EMS and Kmart as well, and then walked to Radio Shack where I bought a new camera. We stopped at Taco Bell and then resupplied at a grocery store nearby. The rain started on our walk back to the bus stop but we didn't have to wait long and caught the two buses back to Hanover. Since we are planning to stop in Glencliff in a few days we didn't want to pay for laundry, so I got my Dr. Bronners soap out and washed the essentials, including our nasty, unbelievably dirty socks, in the sink. Dinner was Subway and now it's time to relax! Back to hiking tomorrow; we've been following Hurricane Irene and packed some extra food in case we get stuck in the woods somewhere!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment