Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Time's Not for Saving

Lack of motivation?

Each day, each step even, puts me closer to Katahdin. Closer to the end.

It's been difficult for me to get up and moving in the morning...but not because of a lack of motivation, and not because I'm tired of hiking. (Yes, I hurt, my pack is still a burden, and some days the thought of walking 15 or 16 or 17 or 18 miles sounds incredibly unappealing, but...) Each morning I wake, I find myself one day closer to completing this journey. One day closer to Katahdin. One day closer to the end.

But wasn't that the goal? To hike from Georgia to Maine? And be finished?

It's hard, no, it's impossible, to not think about the end. When I started in March, my mindset was always that I had six months left, and I had five months left, four months left, and now I'm down to a month and a half. What happened to the early spring warmth of Georgia? To the first heat of summer in Virginia? The mornings now emit the goosebump-inducing crispness of early fall and I'm switching back to my winter gear in the next couple of weeks. Winter gear again, already?

I've realized that the goal was not to just hike from Georgia to Maine. The goal was to hike from Georgia...through North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire...to Maine. Those twelve states in the middle make a big difference.

The journey continues.


Mountains are the means; the man is the end. The goal is not to reach the tops of the mountains, but to improve the man.

4 comments:

  1. This is a very thought provoking message. So often we work so hard at the goal that we forget to "smell the roses" along the way. Enjoy the last 45 days.
    Bear Bag's Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awsome post ! Thank you for your continued sharing along your journey. Think of this... It's not almost over but yet it's the beginning. This journey will and has changed you forever. You will never look at things, life, the same again. You will remember this journey for the rest of your life. Yes you have about a month and half to Katadyn, Yes you hurt, yes your pack is heavy, and the burdon you cary now will be nothing when you accend the climb and kiss the plaque at the top of the last mountain.
    May the rest of this part of your life journey be light on your feet. Be strong. Those tears will be tears of joy.


    Lonewolf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic post! I just got back from the Whites in NH along the AT. I was just weekending over three days, but I thought, hey, Lindsey will hiking over this same piece of trail! It gave me a smile. I also thank you for sharing your journey.

    Stay Healthy!

    ReplyDelete